Wednesday, March 24, 2010

doors of montmartre

paris: montmartre door

i am
certainly
not
the first
to be charmed
by the doors
of paris.
with their
bold colors
and
elaborate
knockers & knobs,
it's not
hard to
see
why
they are
so photogenic.

it was
an overcast
wednesday afternoon
when
we wandered
around montmartre.
i was
looking for
a pétanque park
that i wanted
to show grub.
a few years
back i sat
by that park
with my mom
and watched
old men
play pétanque
for hours.

paris:door2

as
we walked,
i took
a few polaroids
of doors.
i am partial
to blue ones.
my favorite
(top photo)
was right
by
au lapin agile,
a famous
old cabaret.

these doors
often lead
into courtyards
that offer
refuge
from
the busy street.

paris: door1

as
we saw
people
enter
and leave,
we loved
peeking
in
to
a whole
other
private
world.

xo

7 comments:

alexandria said...

These are gorgeous. Doors are wonderful characters. I really love the top Polaroid as well.

clairehelene7 said...

Oh yay! I've been looking forward to your Paris shots. I just read The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy, which takes place mostly in 1950s Paris. I've been itching to go ever since. It's not in the cards at the moment, so I appreciate the vicarious travel. (The book is fun too.)

Lili said...

I love the second one so much it's such a happy shade of yellow. The doors of Montmarte have gorgeous details in them.

lisa solomon said...

i love doors too.
these are very special !

Christine Gram said...

Sounds exactly like my kind of afternoon.

Isabelle said...

Did you ever find the petanque park? I haven't been to many parks in Paris but I really like the Place des Vosges.

babelfish said...

Beautiful aren't they? so simple yet decorative and grand! 'peeking into a whole other private world'-I love that :)