Monday, December 07, 2009

jenny penny vintage

jenny penny

my dad use
to call me
jenny penny.
not so very
unusual
for a girl
with the
given name
of jennifer.
like every other
girl born in 1974.

he taught me
how to
drop a penny
into
a mixture of
salt and vinegar
to turn
a dull
brown
penny
shiny again.

every time
he went
on a trip
(this was often
when i was little)
i would make
him a new
lucky penny.
i would make
it shiny
with
vinegar and salt,
staple
it into
an index
card,
and
scrawl
a note
on it.

a few years ago
i found
a whole
pile of
them
in a drawer
of
his dresser.

there
is something
very sweet
and sentimental
about
a father's
nickname
for his little girl.
that's why
i picked
that name
for my
little
vintage store.

i am selling these
things
because i must
but
as a friend
told me
recently-
you can get rid
of the item
but save the memory.
so that's what
i will do...
with the items
i have the most
difficulty
selling
i will
tell the story.
save it
instead
of the item
that i
can no longer
keep.

the 1950s pink coat
(like this one)

my store
:
jenny penny vintage
items
will be added
often.


hope you
find
something
that
brings
back
sweet
memories.

xo

9 comments:

Lizette said...

This is so sweet. What a great name and tough decision you've made. Good luck!

Eero said...

Why must you sell your wonderful stuff?

emily said...

my dad had a nickname for me too - and it's a precious memory. i love the idea of telling the story and letting go of the things. i think that might help me - i have such a hard time letting go of things sometimes.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Born in '72, my Scottish grandmother intervened on the Jennifer naming. Love your nick-name story.

amisha said...

what a wonderful idea. e recently told me something similar when we were sorting through our closets, and it was so hard for me to let go of old pieces that i haven't worn in many years, because of the sweet memories they evoke. i sat one night and told him the stories, but i like the idea of documenting them, photographing and writing them down.
xo

f. pea said...

How brave and strong of you! Is this your Christmas present to Grub?

lisa s said...

too tempting.

and how cute is that photo of you as a little??

julianne smith (@gartergirl) said...

so, so, so proud of you :)

Chez Danisse said...

What sweet memories. I loved learning about your pennies and you finding them all of those years later, knowing they were important enough for him to save. I also loved the story behind your coat. Thank you for sharing!