Wednesday, January 16, 2008

art & film



what could
be better?



art.




my brother
johnny and i
spent a day
in nyc
at MOMA.
he wanted me
to see
the
martin puryear
exhibit
before it closed
(more photos
of that later).



both of us
agreed
that
sometimes
seeing art
is like
going to church
(we were good
catholic kids
at one time).
it was an
incredibly
spiritual experience
to see
puryear's work.
more so
because i was
with
johnny-
someone
who is, at times,
like my twin.



i also
wanted
to see
the
lucian freud
exhibition...

we took
a break
and had
a sundae...



then
we wandered
into
the architecture/design
exhibits
(where
was grub?)...





and
we squealed
at the same
things







film.

abby is hosting
a beautiful film week

so here
are 2 films,
to start,
that left
a lasting
impression
on me.

a warning...
i tend
(perhaps it's
the german heritage)
to find
beauty in
what some
may see
as sad
or depressing...

the first film,
tuvalu

i first saw
at the
seattle film fest
a few years ago.
i went with
my brother johnny...
i just
randomly picked it
because it
sounded interesting.
the imagery
in this film
is stunning.



see the
trailer
(although it doesn't
do it justice).

the second film,
tideland,
is one
of those films
that you
just aren't sure
how you feel
about it right away
but it seeps
into you...

tideland
is a terry gilliam film
that did not get
very good reviews
or
much play here
in the US.
it is a new direction
for him and
in some ways
probably
the most
deeply
personal
film he's made...



if you can get
past terry gilliam's
strange
intro
and remember
that it's from
a child's
prespective
you are in
for
an amazing
(albeit a bit creepy)
and
beautiful film.





reminds me of this:



more
thursday.

xo

8 comments:

wendy said...

love that you are so close with your brother.
where did you get that marvelous sundae?!

asphalt and air said...

oh! Tuvalu is one of my abosolute favorites! Soooo wonderful!
(I might blog about it too)

lisa solomon said...

what i wouldn't give to see the puryear show.....

[his work is definitely spiritual]

Tracykins said...

When I saw "what could be better," I thought to myself - ice cream! And then, there it was! Ha! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

bugheart said...

wendy-
we got
the "MOMA sundae"
at the terrace cafe
on the 2nd or 2rd floor
of the museum.
cheesecake &
creme frache
ice cream
& raspberry
sorbet...
yum!

f. pea said...

you look good with pollocks. i think you ought to get one for your apartment.

Eero said...

I rented 'Tideland' when I saw it was a T.G. film. It totally blew me away. There were moments in that film that were exquisitely beautiful and perfectly horrible. Loved it. So glad to find someone else who does!

I miss Johnny.....

Babelfish said...

I agree, art and food sounds dreamy! I would love to visit MOMA one day...the films you picked looks interesting (did you pick them for the poster design? love the tree theme).